Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Radiation shielding in General Atomic's 10 and 20 meter Orion designs

From GA 5009 Volume 3

"Most missions for the 10-m configuration require less than 3,000 pulses,
so a bottom shielding requirement of 1Z0 g/cm^2 of hydrogenous material
was used for most conceptual designs.
Shielding of Z5 g/cm^2 or more was thus provided on all sides of
the powered flight station. According to recent studies of planetary
exploration requirements, this shielding is sufficient to attenuate the
probable solar-flare radiation to dose values similar to the 50 rein
allowed for propulsion. the total mission dose from both sources
was expected to be about 100 rem".


Anonymous Radiation shielding said...

I was searching the same which you post, thanks now I got my desired information which I was looking for my work.

9:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home